Sylvia Plath: On Reading and Writing Journals

13:42 denisecastillo 0 Comments


I have this weird habit of browsing my whole Twitter app whenever I'm bored. It just so happened that a friend of mine retweets and favorites Sylvia Plath quotes and it has stricken my attention that I Googled her life story:

Sensitive, intelligent, compelled toward perfection in everything she attempted, she was, on the surface, a model daughter, popular in school, earning straight A's, winning the best prizes. By the time she entered Smith College on a scholarship in 1950 she already had an impressive list of publications, and while at Smith she wrote over four hundred poems. On February 11, 1963, Sylvia Plath killed herself with cooking gas at the age of 30.
(http://www.sylviaplath.de/plath/bio.html)




There is something about her and her writing that made me so interested in reading her journal. I fell in love with how relatable her life is as a teenager given that she lived in a generation and era different from mine. Everything is just so poetic and she makes simple situations live in such a vivid story, which is honestly inspiring to someone who is into writing and venting emotions and ideas out of the whim.

Also, I have grown to love watching movies and reading stories of  Plath's era and it feels like I'm time travelling whenever I read/watch such things. Plath's journal contains the most random things happening in her life from poetry, love, friendship, family and even simple observations of her surroundings where everything is in detail and everything is just in nostalgia. It was through her journal that I realized that:

1. You're 18, you're young, you have so many questions about life.
2. You are surrounded in a world filled with different people.
3. Appreciate all the little things in life.
4. Life is both a happy and a sad story to tell.
To me, my journal is my private vault, where I vent my feelings out and where I write my secrets. It feels liberating to express my feelings through writing, without filters and without worrying about people's judgments.

Have a safe week lovely people. I've been inactive for a couple of weeks due to turn of events. I'll tell you on my next blog post. I missed you all! xx

I have this weird habit of browsing my whole Twitter app whenever I'm bored. It just so happened that a friend of mine retweets and...

0 comments: